I read a piece of news from NPR. The report indicates that the adopted teens have the higher risk for ADHD which is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and it means that one is hard to focus or have a lot of energy.
Children with this symptom are likely to be hostile and disobedient. The researcher said that they tend to argue with their parents, refuse to follows the chores, argue with their teachers, and blame others for their own mistakes.
A study picks adolescents who had been adopted before age 2. When they are about 15 years old, the researchers test their psychological interview for their depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Comparatively, the researchers also choose some non-adoption teens for the study. The result shows that they are all psychologically healthy.
However, the rate of ADHD is quiet different. ODD and ADHD of adopted teens is doubled to that of the non-adopted teens. The adopted youngsters have no increased risk for depression and anxiety.
But the reason for the higher rate of ADHD and ODD is the genetic factors. That is, the adopted children are surrounded by the alcohol and drug environment before they are adopted. The exposure is the major factor for their higher risk of ADHD, and it do affect their mental health.
Although the adopted youngsters have higher risk for ADHD, their adopted parents have better educated background and financial condition and can help these children to have a proper treatment.
An interesting study shows that the rate of ADHD for adopted children in another country is lower than that in the US, but the reason is unknown and unclear.
The news makes me reconsider the issue of adoption. It shows the risk of adopting a child. If we do not well prepare to have a child no matter what does he or she like. Healthy or unhealthy? Have a well preparation before adopting a child.
1 則留言:
I like your information of the news. I agree that before adopting children, parents should be well-prepared for potential problems. I think that those parents taking good care of their children with ADHD are respectable. They need more patience, tolerance, and understanding to find out the best way to raise their children. By the way, thanks for understnading and anwering my question. That day I uttered so awfully, and I really appreciate your listening and response with great patience.
張貼留言